WELCOME to the web site of Bob Hughes, writer and campaigner on matters of wealth-inequality.
I'm a founder-member of the UK's No One Is Illegal group, which campaigns for total abolition of immigration controls (i.e., for poor and non-'white' people, as well as the rich ones who, like the mice in The Tailor of Gloucester, can already go wherever they like). I'm the author of "Dust or Magic" (published in 2000; a book about computer-based media and its working culture). I retired from the excellent department of publishing at Oxford Brookes University in 2012, but remain an associate.
I am now working on a book about inequality and technology, and what an equal world might be like, for publication by Pluto Books. Some of these writings give a foretaste:
- "Make them eat chips" - a review of Anthony Wilhelm's influential but surprisingly little-criticised book Digital Nation.
- Unhealthy Obsessions - a short article for Red Pepper examining the murky background to UK Immigration Minister Phil Woolas's recent pronouncements about population and immigration. (December 2008)
- "Suits and Creatives" - an article about the so-called Creative Industries: for the inaugural issue of Work Organisation, Labour and Globalisation. It draws on the work Michael Burawoy, and my own, dreadful experiences in advertising in the 1970s and 80s.(January 2007)
- "From Useful Idiocy to Activism" (and the 177kb PDF version ) presented at the 2005 Critical Computing conference in Aarhus, Denmark.
- "Class war on your desktop" - a short piece from November 2003 about capitalism and computers, for the trAce Online Writing Centre.
- "Old realities run riot in the new economy" - a review of Chris Benner's: Work in the New Economy - Flexible Labor Markets in Silicon Valley - for Convergence: The Journal of Research into New Media Technologies, February 2006
- "Narrative as Landscape" - presented at the 1997 MENO workshop on Hypermedia and Narrative.
These are two campaigns I'm involved in: No-One Is Illegal - which campaigns for the abolition of immigration controls - and The Campaign to Close Down Campsfield. Campsfield, just north of Oxford, is one of Europe's spreading "Gulag Archipelago" of prisons for immigrants).
Bob © Hughes
Phone +44 1865 726804 email: bob at dustormagic dot net
Friday, 31 January 2014